Intercept of Moving Target by Spaceship with Radar
Cartesian and Polar Coordinates and Newton's Law Exercise
Download Ship Intercept zipped file now!
1. Moving File to your Desktop and file extraction (optional).
2. Double Click File Icon to start Program.
3. Travel a short distance and note Azimuth* of Target.
4. Travel towards target until your Radar indicates range to target. Then follow moving target as closely as you can without passing it.
5. You will have to reverse thrusters to come to near stop in vicinity of target. For example, if Course indicates 45 degrees, setting Ship Orientation to 225 degrees will result in thrust reversal when Full Speed or Slow are clicked. When Course and Azimuth are equal the virtual spaceship is traveling directly towards target.
* Azimuth indication is required so that player of game can get within Radar Range( 250,000.00 kilo-meters) of target.
Game Metaphor: The Radar/Optical/Remote Single Target Sensor System provides azimuth data from a telescope or from a remote sensor or intelligence source ( Includes radio transmission from a friendly space station or vehicle that you wish to rendezvous with. When you get within 250,000.00 kilometers the radar gives you both accurate azimuth and range information. You will find following target is bit more tricky than you might think. You can play came intuitively or make calculations. You start your travels along X or Y axis and use triangulation to estimate targets location and velocity. When you get a radar range and angle data you can calculate position and velocity of target.